Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Rule of Law


Dear Rachel,

Today is November 16th. You and two of your friends were shot and killed exactly 172 days ago. And today the man accused of killing you has a hearing in Virginia Beach. This will be the first of what I assume will be many hearings leading up to his trial, currently scheduled for next May.

I have no real quarrel with the U.S. system of justice; as flawed as it is, it’s probably the best around. Of course, I try to keep in mind that “system of justice” is probably a misnomer: Judging by the way in which the law is applied, justice is not really the goal of law; order is the goal of law. Justice, when it occurs, is merely a happy accident. And perhaps that’s the way it has to be.

I believe that this man deserves his hearing, and the hearings to follow; that he ultimately merits a trial in which all of the evidence is heard and in which his fate is decided by a jury of his peers.

I believe that, but I have to wonder: When do you get a hearing?

Love,

Dad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home