Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Pride & Prejudice


Dear Rachel,

You were always so proud of me; I’d like to think I deserved it, but I often wonder. When I was developing software you’d lie in wait at B. Dalton’s or Egghead and pounce on the unwary shopper who picked up one of our software packages: “My daddy made that!” you’d say with a smile. “You should buy it. It’s really good.” Perhaps you were bucking for a commission.

You were a bit older when I became the editor of a computing magazine, so you were a little more subtle. You’d just drag your friends over to the rack at Barnes & Noble, grab a magazine and point to my name on the masthead: “See that? That’s my dad. Pretty cool, huh?” Maybe “subtle” isn’t the right word.

I suppose every little girl is proud of her daddy.

But I hope you knew how proud I was of you. You turned out to be a wonderful, bright, witty, kind person. The day you finally got that college degree—just a few weeks before you were killed—was one of the happiest days of my life. We were all so proud of you for sticking it out: me, your mom, Lesley, Amy, and all the grandparents, too. We knew how tough it was, what with having to work, go to school, and raise a baby at the same time. It would’ve been so easy to quit, but you didn’t.

You never got to hold your actual diploma; you and all the other graduates marched across the stage holding a sheet of paper that looked like a diploma, but we got to see the real thing. Someone from ODU came by after your memorial service and dropped it off with your mom. I was reminded at the time of an honor guard presenting the flag to a fallen soldier’s mother.

Like the soldier’s flag ceremony, it was touching, and very kind of the university to make sure we got the diploma. But I wondered what those mothers really think when they’re handed that tri-folded flag. No, that’s not right; I know exactly what they think: No, thank you. You’re very kind, but you can keep your flag. I’d like my child back. Please. I’d like my child back. I’ll give you the flag and everything I own. You can have anything I’ve ever owned, and anything I might ever own, if you’ll just give me back my child. Will you do that for me? Please?

Love,

Dad

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rod, thank you so much for sharing your memories of Rachel, your love and pride for her with me, and so many others. We are out here reading and listening and caring - so very much. I truly wish I could have met her in person.

Linda Huson

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home